Onboard and online
Closely aligned with the College of Naval Command and Staff and our Fleet Seminars, our web-enabled program offers core and elective courses that lead to a diploma. Online students participate in cohorts of about 20, learning from Naval War College faculty members.
About Web-Enabled Program
NWC’s College of Distance Education (CDE) offers its three core courses in an online format:
- Strategy and War - four credits, 17 weeks
- Joint Military Operations - four credits, 34 weeks
- Theater Security Decision Making - four credits, 17 weeks
In addition the core curriculum, student can also choose from a variety of three-credit electives, ranging from culture and economics to specialized warfare and security topics.
Visit CDE Web-Enabled Program
More on Web-Enabled ProgramClick to Open
Typical course workload includes about eight hours of reading and studying per week, with an additional half hour of online work. Assignments include assessments, essays, and multiple-choice quizzes.
Students can expect to complete the online program in 18 to 24 months. In order to be eligible for a June graduation, students should complete coursework by April 30 of the year in which they wish to graduate.
To be eligible to enroll in CDE’s web-enabled program, you must hold a bachelor’s degree and one of the following positions:
- Sea power officer (Navy, Marine, or Coast Guard), active and reserve, at grade O-3 to O-6
- Department of Defense-related civilian at grade of GS-11 or above
- Army and Air Force officer of O-4 or above
Technology RequirementsClick to Open
In order to access and complete the CD-ROM program, you will need a computer with the following systems, software, and hardware:
- Minimum equivalent of an Pentium III processor with Windows XP operating system. (MAC users should have a minimum of OS X 10.6.)
- Access to high-speed internet
- A DVD player
- Sound card with speakers or headphones
- Browser of Internet Explorer 7 or greater, Edge, Safari, or Chrome 38
- Adobe Acrobat Reader v9
- Macromedia Flash v18 or other equivalent media players
- Microsoft Office (specifically Word and PowerPoint)
For more information please visit College of Distance Education.Visit College of Distance Education
Enrollment & Application Process
You can apply online for the web-enabled program. After acceptance, you will select one course for which you’d like to be considered; typical wait-time for approval of your first course is five to seven months.