U.S. Naval War College Registrar
The Dean of Students serves as the Registrar and operates the military equivalent of an admissions office and student records office. The Registrar is responsible for development and maintenance of the college wide student database, academic records, statistical data, and biographical records. The Registrar also coordinates transcript preparation and works closely with the academic departments in grade preparation and computation; assists in the determination of eligibility to graduate with distinction and highest distinction; and coordinates graduate degree and diploma preparation for both resident and nonresident students. The Registrar is also responsible for alumni transcripts. Release of personal information regarding students and alumni is in accordance with the Federal Privacy Act. Transcripts are sent out only upon written request and with authorization from the graduate. In addition, the registrar oversees the receipt and administration of all civilian student nomination packages.
How to Order
Send a completed Transcript Request Form (DOC) to the Registrar by:
- Mail (please allow a minimum of 7 to 10 business days for processing)
Office of the Registrar
US Naval War College
686 Cushing Road
Newport RI 02841-1207
NWC Education Verifications/Background Investigations
Anyone wishing to receive verification of a student’s academic record from the Office of the Registrar at the U.S. Naval War College is required to provide a signed release from the student.
Fax verification requests to the Registrar at 401-841-7568. Verifications cannot be provided via telephone.
Civilian Application Instructions
- Completed application form
- Transcripts from baccalaureate and advanced degrees.
- Minimum of a secret security clearance.
- Biography or resume to include education and relevant work history (limited to two pages).
- Two letters of recommendation (LOR), at least one from a direct supervisor addressing communications skills both written and oral. A board nomination letter may be submitted in lieu of these LOR’s if candidate is selected by panel.
- Sample written essay addressing how you would benefit from participating in a Professional Military Education (PME) program offered at the U.S. Naval War College and how other students, especially military personnel, would benefit from your unique civilian agency perspective (limited to two pages).