The Gravely Group works on several naval capabilities and concepts. The Gravely Group has directly supported several programs with workshops and tabletop exercises, including Distributed Lethality, Future Surface Combatant and unmanned systems. The Gravely Group also provides support to Commanders of U.S. Pacific Command and U.S. Pacific Fleet, providing advice on innovative solutions in consultation with commanders and their staffs. Additionally, the Gravely Group supports advancing the understanding of Integrated Air & Missile Defense and Anti-Submarine War.
The Research Charter for the Gravely Group provides guidance along multiple lines of analysis, including:
- Research on evolving technologies, operational planning, and command and control concepts while education a cadre of Naval and Joint warrior-scholars.
- Joint Integrated Air and Missile Defense, Undersea Warfare, Information Warfare, Distributed Lethality, and decision superiority.
- Operational and functional concepts to develop warfighting advantages in response to Navy and Joint Force challenges.
- Support to the Undersea Warfighting Development Center, and the Surface and Mine Warfighting Development Center, including cross-discipline knowledge development.
- Support to the Deputy Assistant Secretary of the Navy for Unmanned Systems, Unmanned Systems Division (OPNAV 99), Naval Sea and Air Systems Command, and other Naval organizations to further develop warfighting capabilities.