Details from the “Black Ship scrolls,” created in Japan soon after the visits of Commodore Matthew Calbraith Perry’s squadron in 1853 and 1854. Digitized copies of the original scrolls, on long-term loan from the Preservation Society of Newport County, Rhode Island, are on display at the Naval War College Museum. They appear in an attractive new exhibit space on the first floor produced by moving the Naval War College Foundation’s Museum Store to an expanded site in the Museum’s first-floor west wing. Shown are USS Saratoga (upper left), USS Powhatan (upper right), USS Susquehanna (lower left), and USS Lexington (lower right). See our “From the Editors” department in this issue for related, exciting developments at Founders Hall.
Courtesy Naval War College Museum.
Volume 63, Number 4