Register for an Empower Account
All applicants who have completed their online PME course can register for an Empower account, Naval War College's student management database. All E7's must submit a CO Endorsement Letter at the same time they submit an application for an Empower Account.
To see if you are eligible for the SEA course, please visit the prerequisite page.
Note: If your Empower Account was setup prior to April 15, 2016 then you must update your Empower account before your CAC login will work. See Empower Account Setup before April 15, 2016 below for more information. Register For An Empower Account
Empower Account Setup before April 15, 2016 Click to Open
If your Empower Account was set up prior to April 15, 2016 then you must update your Empower account before your CAC login will work.
To update your existing Empower account, contact the Naval War College help desk at (401) 841-4900 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Request your Empower account to be updated with your DoD ID Number. Look just above the barcode on the backside of your CAC.
Note: It may take up to 24 hours for the update to take effect. Once updated, you will be able to log into Empower with your CAC and enroll in a class with open seats.
Enrolling in a Class
Once you receive the email stating your Empower account has been established, you can enroll in any SEA class with targeted enrollment or open enrollment.
Targeted Enrollment Click to Open
What is targeted enrollment?
To ensure diversity within each class, we offer limited quotas for various types of students. When enrolling in a class on Empower, applicants must enter the type of orders they will travel under.
Types of orders you can select from
- USN E-8/E-9 on TAD orders – Select a quota from an available class. (CAC required to select a class.)
- USN E-8/E-9 on PCS orders or following on to CMC/COB – Detailer must put you on orders. When approved, you can select a quota from an available class. (CAC required to select a class.)
- USNR (Reserve) on ADT/AT orders only – When approved you can select a quota from an available class. (CAC required to select a class.)
- Non-US Navy including our International Service partners – Your service Training Officer MUST approve your request advise the SEA of acceptance. When approved, select a quota from an available class.
- All E-7s must first meet eligibility requirements. When approved, only then can they enroll in a class with open seats. (CAC required to select a class.)
I don't see my class
Only classes with available seats will appear in Empower. If no classes are visible in Empower, then all quotas have been filled for the year. In that case, see Open Enrollment below for possible options.
E-7 ALERT: As of May 2018, all "targeted enrollment" quotas for E-7s have been filled in all SEA classes. If you are an E-7, your only hope to get into a class is via its Open Enrollment period.
SEA Enrollment Instructions
Open Enrollment Click to Open
What is open enrollment?
All unused quotas from target enrollment are made available on a first-come-first served basis for open enrollment on Empower.
When is open enrollment?
Monday at 0800 Eastern Time (ET), three weeks before the class's official start date. If enrollment falls on a Holiday, then it shifts to that Tuesday. Once all seats are filled, open enrollment for that class ends.
| Class || FY-19 open enrollment dates |
| 222 || Jan 22, 2019 |
| 223 || Feb 19, 2019 |
| 224 || Mar 25, 2019 |
| 225 || Apr 29, 2019 |
| 226 || Jun 24, 2019 |
Getting into Blackboard
After enrolling in a class, students will gain access to the course in Blackboard on the Wednesday prior to the actual class convening date and will lose access 30 days after last day of in-residence.
BlackboardClick to Open
Please click https://navalwarcollege.blackboard.com and enter your username and password, instructions below:
- Your username is your first name.last name (Example - MICHAEL.PAROLA).
- New Blackboard users, please use the 'Forgot Your Password?' link and enter your first name, last name and the above username, you will then receive an e-mail with a link to create your password.
Previous Naval War College Blackboard users, continue to use the password you have been using.
If you need further assistance with resetting your password, contact NWC IRD Helpdesk at email@example.com
If you have any questions, please contact us directly: