General Order 325 of 6 October 1884, drafted by Stephen B. Luce and signed by the Secretary of the Navy, William E. Chandler, establishing the Naval War College and making Commodore Luce its first president.
This year the Naval War College marked its 120th anniversary with ceremonies on 6 October (including an “appearance” by the Commodore) and a commemorative coin, as well as by a highly successful visit in September by the Commission on Institutions of Higher Education of the New England Association of Schools and Colleges. That visit completed the on-site evaluation phase of a process (the ten-year comprehensive evaluation required for all NEASC-accredited colleges) that, we are confident, will ultimately continue the College’s accreditation, originally granted in 1994, to confer the master of arts degree in national security and strategic studies.
“The Principal Building on Coasters’ [sic] Harbor Island” [referred to in the complete text of the general order, reprinted on the inside front cover of the print version] was the poorhouse and asylum for the deaf and dumb of Newport, Rhode Island. Built in 1819 and renamed Founders Hall in 1976, it now houses the Naval War College Museum, the Maritime History Department, and [formerly] the Naval War College Press.
For background and further information, see Sailors and Scholars: The Centennial History of the Naval War College (1984), by John B. Hattendorf, B. Mitchell Simpson III, and John R. Wadleigh, sold at the Naval War College Foundation Museum Store.
Volume 58, Number 1