The Center on Irregular Warfare and Armed Groups (CIWAG) at the United States Naval War College in Newport, RI is dedicated to the interdisciplinary study of the challenges presented by irregular warfare (IW) and non-state actors (armed groups) in the twenty-first century.
The mission of CIWAG is to:
- promote and support research and teaching on irregular warfare and armed groups;
- facilitate interaction and collaboration between professional military educational institutions, civilian academics and battlefield operators
- disseminate cutting edge analysis via symposia and workshops to provide a forum for dialogue at the Naval War College between U.S. and international practitioners and scholars;
- expand outreach and networking activities to establish, and sustain a “community of interest” devoted to the study and teaching of irregular warfare and armed groups and create case studies.
The operational objectives for CIWAG are:
- promoting collaborative research among scholars and practioners that results in panel presentations at major conferences, workshops and seminars, and published research;
- expanding the institutions represented at CIWAG workshops and symposia in order to improve the quality of research and exchange on the issue of irregular warfare and armed groups;
- fostering collaboration and increasing institutional ties between civilian and professional military education institutions, and between U.S. and international academics and practitioners.