Associate Professor of Leadership Education
College of Operational and Strategic Leadership
- M.A. National Security and Strategic Studies (with Distinction), U.S. Naval War College, 2006, concentration in Leadership and Ethics
- B.S. Naval Architecture, U.S. Naval Academy, 1985
- FE-595S, Stockdale Group Directed Research (with Prof John Meyer)
- FE-722, The Heart of Leadership (with Prof Tom Culora)
- WE-595S, Stockdale Group Directed Research (with Prof John Meyer)
- WE-702, Leader Development
- SE-618, Strategic Leadership
Expertise: Retired naval aviator. Leadership Section Head, Department of Leadership, Ethics & Law, U.S. Naval Academy, 1997-2000. Primary Professional Military Education Program Project Leader, Center for Naval Leadership, 2003-2005.
- "Formal Mentoring in the U.S. Military: Research Evidence, Lingering Questions and Recommendations." W. Brad Johnson and Gene R. Andersen. Naval War College Review, Spring 2010, Volume 63, Number 2, pages 113-126.
- "How to Make Mentoring Work." W. Brad Johnson and Gene Andersen. U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings, April 2009, Volume 135, Number 4, pages 26-32.
- Leadership and Human Behavior. Gene R. Andersen, W. Brad Johnson Ph.D. and Eric M. Thomas, editors. Pearson Custom Publishing, 1999. ISBN 0-536-02546-0. U.S. Naval Academy & ROTC text.
- Leadership: Theory and Application. Gene R. Andersen, editor. Simon & Schuster Custom Publishing, 1999. ISBN 0-536-01938-X. U.S. Naval Academy and ROTC text; in use through 2005.
- "Navy Officer Development as a Function of Service Culture," 8th annual Combat Studies Institute Conference, Ft Leavenworth, KS, 23 September 2010 (invited).
- Series on Teaching Adults, Command Leadership School faculty development, February-May 2010.
Material and external links contained herein are made available for the purpose
of peer review and discussion and do not necessarily reflect the views of the Naval
War College, Department of the Navy or the Department of Defense.